The aim of this project is to modernize the public lighting system – including modernization of maintenance standards, energy and cost savings and environmental aspects.
To assist the municipality in financing the project, a contracting model has been developed. The energy and cost-savings, guaranteed by the client and illustrated in the incremental cost analysis, are the leverage to make this project profitable. After the end of the contracting agreement concluded between the municipality and the client, the municipality can fully profit from the modernized public lighting system with all its advantages.
An up-to-date public lighting system is a pre-requisite for several businesses such as service enterprises, the retail industry or tourism. Furthermore, safety on the street will increase both for car drivers and pedestrians
Description of actual services provided by the staff within the assignment:
- Turn-key services - the performance contractor provides all required services;
- Project financing can be 'off balance sheet' and not affect debt load;
- State-of-the-art products and services are used;
- Savings are normally much higher than if the municipality carries the work itself;
- Additional improvements to environmental performance can be paid for out of the savings.
Cost savings based on utility bills will be the most appropriate method of verifying the energy savings. Data of energy consumption are available from the municipality, and with detailed indications for the number of bulbs, operating time, energy consumption per bulb and average maintenance and disposal costs, the future energy consumption can be projected in detail.
The incremental cost analysis shows the energy and cost savings for the municipality.